Our School App Stay connected on the go...
About the Sixth Form
St James’ is a growing sixth form of about 200 students. Standards and expectations are high. We pride ourselves on providing a high quality education in a supportive environment. Consequently 100% of A level students completed their courses in the academic year 2015-2016 gaining an A-E grade in each of their chosen subjects. This rate compares favourably with neighbouring schools and colleges.
90% of students in Year 13 are now attending university the remaining 10% have successfully gained places on apprenticeships or are in full time employment.
As well as providing a good academic education, a key aim of the sixth form is to provide a range of social and enrichment opportunities. It is important to us, that by the time students leave the sixth form, they are well balanced individuals, who are prepared for university or the world of work. Indeed, the vast majority of our students go on to study at university, with a number securing offers from Oxford and Cambridge. We provide a comprehensive support programme for university applications, and have close links with many universities as well as successful links with apprenticeship provioders.
Student feedback about their sixth form experience is very positive. Recurring strengths identified are the high academic standards and supportive community environment. In school evaluations students reported that they had enjoyed their experience in the sixth form and would recommend it to other students.
St. James' views the Sixth Form as an important period of preparation for the next stage in students' lives. The School takes considerable care in ensuring that students do the very best for themselves and reach their full potential. St. James' caters for all students' abilities and interests - offering a wide range of GCSE, GCE, and OCR Cambridge Technical courses with an ever-increasing number of options.
Life as a sixth form student is challenging and rewarding in many ways. Students are given greater independence and freedom but can still rely on a firm framework of support and advice.
The sixth form has its own comfortable, well-furnished common room with a foosball table, vending machines and free wifi access. For private study, students enjoy sole use of a supervised learning resources centre, equipped with computers.